Consisting of 300 islands in the Bay of Bengal, Andaman has become a prime location for romantic getaways. With white-sand beaches and crystal-clear waters, the islands have grown into one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in the country. In the last five years, hundreds of couples have booked their holidays to Andaman, turning it into a couple-friendly travel spot where they get to experience the very best of nature.
Here’s a list of the things you can do while on a romantic trip to Andaman and Nicobar -:
For the Nature Lovers
- Chasing Sunsets: Sunsets are sought after because they cast an intimate spell on all of us. In the Andaman islands, you get to enjoy crimson coloured sunsets with your loved one with enough photographs to last a lifetime! The best spots to enjoy the sunset are Chidiyatapu beach in Port Blair (popular for bird watching too), Lakshmanpur in Neil Island (secluded beach with white shell sand) and Radhanagar beach in Havelock (considered to be the 7th best beach in the world).
- Turtle Nesting and Hatching at Kalipur Beach: During the nesting season, thousands of sea turtles flock to the Kalipur beach in Diglipur. Several different kinds of turtles visit this beach. The most common varieties are Olive Ridley, Leather Back, Hawksbill and Green Turtles. Here, you get to witness nesting and hatching by the sea turtles in Kalipur beach, which is a different experience altogether! As you walk along the starry night, you can keep your ears open for the tiniest of movements and you can see the hatching of little turtles and how they slowly inch their way towards the ocean and learn to swim…nothing but pure nature!
- Live in a Bamboo Hut by Neil Island: The perfect way to experience Andaman in its full glory is by living in a small bamboo hut by Neil Island. Spend your time together in a cosy bamboo-thatched hut by the beach and stay connected with nature.
- Spot Rare Animals at Chidiyatapu Biological Park: If you guys are animal lovers, you must surely take a trip to the Chidiyatapu Biological Park in Port Blair. Established in 1967 to conserve unique animal species, this mini-zoo will be a superb treat for any wildlife enthusiast.
For the Luxury Travellers
- Candlelight Dinner: If you want to pamper your loved one and want a memory to cherish together, then a candlelight dinner by the sea and under the stars is your perfect opportunity! This is an experience that will weave the magic of Andaman into a romantic dinner with some sparkling wine and delicious food. After all, those are the only things that a heart craves…
- Couple Massage: Couple massages are a wonderful way to relax and de-stress. They hold the power to create a closer bond in your relationship through a shared experience. Let go of all your worries, and enjoy a soothing massage with your loved one at luxurious stays like Aqua Spa and Symphony Samudra.
- Dinner Cruise in Port Blair: Enjoy a tasty dinner with a panoramic view of South Andaman with light Nicobar music, all aboard the luxury cruise in Port Blair. The trip begins in the evening and passes by different islands, giving off a spectacular night view of Andaman.
- Go Fishing and Snorkelling in Havelock: For a personal and unforgettable experience of the marine life and corals in Andaman, this is a must-do activity! With instructors by your side, you can hire a private boat and learn fishing and snorkeling in Havelock. Take your time to swim in the water and learn the tricks of fishing in the crystal clear waters of the island.
- Get Pampered: Andaman has some of the best luxury hotels in the country for relieving couple massage therapies & spas. Indulge yourself and your partner in some self-care and massage at hotels such as Munjoh, Taj, Barefoot, and Symphony Samudra.
- Couple Shoots: No couple’s getaway is complete without those amazing photos of yourselves. Professional photographers will capture the romantic moments with your loved one at Ross Island. After all, memory is brought to life by a thousand pictures.
For the Adventure Seekers:
- Scooty Rides: Two-wheelers are the best vehicles to explore Andaman in a truly intimate way. Picture yourself and your partner, riding down the long, empty roads with a light sea breeze in your faces and the wind in your hair…adds a touch of thrill and romance to your vacation, doesn’t it?
- Night Kayaking: The calm backwaters of Andaman are apt for kayaking at night. They take you through the lush green mangroves of Havelock where you can learn about the vibrant ecosystem of the island, experience the soft, bioluminescent glow from phytoplankton in the water, almost similar to stills from the movie Life of Pi…The perfect place to unlock those peaceful moments with your partner.
- Take a Boat Ride/Scuba Dive Together: The Andaman sea is filled with beautiful corals, colourful fishes, and other underwater mysteries. You can sign-up for a scuba diving course together to witness the gorgeous marine life and pristine waters, and become diving partners for eternity. Dive into the marine world and be mesmerised by the vastness of the sea, all with the certification of PADI, the official body for scuba diving. You can also go cruising over the crystal-clear waters of the Andaman Sea in a glass-bottom boat and watch the spectacular marine life unfold in front of your eyes. Perfect for those who do not want to get into the water, this boat ride will show you exotic marine life right beneath your feet.
- Go Sea-Karting Together: A state-of-the-art water sport, Sea Karting is similar to go-karting, cutting through the surface of the water at fast speeds. This heart-pumping sport is only available in 3 places in the world, and one of them is here at Andaman! Supervised by a licensed instructor, Sea Kart is all about driving on the sea and feeling that adrenaline rush. Try your hand at Sea Karting on Corbyn’s Cove Beach with your partner and experience the joy of gliding along the waves.
- Picnic at Ross & Smith Islands in Diglipur: Surprise your partner with a picnic at Ross and Smith Island. Pack some food, jump on a speedboat and get to these islands, tucked far away from the crowded spots. Ross and Smith are two separate islands that come together and get joined by a sandbar during the low tide. You can even walk from one beach to another, which during the high tide remains submerged underwater.
- Climb Saddle Peak in Diglipur: Saddle Peak is the highest point in the Andamans, overlooking the entire coastline and surrounded by a thick canopy of forest. For the adventurous couple, Saddle Peak is a great trekking and climbing spot.
- Trek to the Secret Beach in Havelock: Go on an offbeat and easy trek, away from the hustle and bustle to the Secret Beach in Havelock and experience the untouched natural beauty of the Andaman’s lovely seashore.
- Visit the Cellular Jail and Port Blair Museum: One of the best ways to enjoy Andaman with your partner is to take a historical tour of Port Blair. Going on this tour, you can learn about the historical events that took place in the city, visit the iconic Cellular Jail, see the museum and also buy souvenirs for your friends.
- Dedicate your Favourite Songs: What better way to build a romantic vibe than some great songs! Music is said to be the best catalyst to rekindle your love. Dedicate some of the favourite songs of your partner and enjoy the picturesque rooftop at Amaya Bar in Port Blair.
- Go Dancing: Want to go dancing with your partner? Look no further. Bonova Café & Pub in Havelock is the perfect spot to enjoy a delicious meal and experience local live music along with nightlife at its best.
- Café Hopping in Havelock: Tired of pub-hopping? Want to try something new? Then go for a café hopping in Havelock. The place is filled with multiple cafes serving superb food and beverages and each café has its own story to tell you. Take a day off to sit in a café and read a book by the sea and simply, enjoy the company of each other.
- Hammocking: Take out time to unwind by the beach, lie on a hammock and read a book together. The beach is a perfect place to let your work-life and everyday stress drift away while you spend some quality time with your partner.
- Room Décor and Cake: Candles, balloons, rose petals, cake…yes you can have all that and more! Celebrate your love with romantic room decor, upon request at almost all hotels in Andaman.
If you are looking for that extra honeymooning time with your loved one, the Andaman Islands should be first on your wish-list!
Plan the next bank holiday weekend, pack just about the right set of clothes, book a flight and have a blast at Andaman, the hidden gem of the Bay of Bengal!